Monday, August 31, 2009

Some days are better than others for blogging


I am not sure that today is a "better", I believe pretty assuredly that it's an "other".

Ever feel like you are in an endless repeating pattern?....the caption for today's blog and this picture. (Thanks to the Carmike Cinema) Who knew, when I took this picture, that it would actually be purposeful some day???

This is one of those days that it is good, that it is intended, that I be at home. OK, so a few salty pretzels feel safe to eat, nothing sounds safe to drink, so the boy child is off getting his Mommy some ginger ale or Sierra Mist or something soothing. Perhaps after a few more wakeful hours my energy will return, my affect will improve and I might get something done besides park my butt.

It is a chillier day today than in a long time. 65.1 F. degrees to be specific. No rain yet today but the clouds look threatening. I would like to think the sun that shines between the clouds might beget a spree of sunshine. Dare we wish for such a thing as this? That lawn out there needs mowing in the worst way and recurrent rain along with conditions prohibitive for causing dryness aren't helping matters any.

Finally finished the Mulvaneys book and for all that was experienced during its' reading I thought the ending would some how have been stupendous. It wasn't. It was okay in an Average Joe sort of way, it certainly tied up some loose ends. There was too much in that book that I could relate to, it saddens me. The turns of events and the subsequent results were too relate-able as well.

I am currently reading a book that is NOT for the faint of heart. What drew me to the book was the fact that it's author was the key character in the movie Running With Scissors, Augusten Burroughs (who also wrote the book of the same name). It is called Magical Thinking and reading the definition of Magical Thinking in the beginning of the book helps to see provide insight to the reader.

Each chapter is a tale of truth from his life, so he says, and they are certainly vivid enough to believe that. If you have seen the movie, Running With Scissors, you are a step ahead of the game when reading this book. However, I, having grown up in a fairly sheltered upbringing in a quiet rural town during the '60's and '70's, still am not prepared for reading some things that I know exist in our world - I have heard of these things and known people who have done these things...still feel that proverbial kick in the gut, blush of embarassment at reading some of these things.

Although these things cause me to feel squeemish, they do make me laugh; but, I do wish some of the details could be left out, if for no other reason than to avoid blushing. I don't know who I might recommend to read this book. I like to recommend books that I have read. This book just might be too much for many or most of the people I know. Would they make a judgement about me after reading it? I would hope not, I didn't create the content. But the fact that I would read it and possibly even finish it, does that speak ill of me? I guess I will just have to throw caution to the wind, because I will be finishing the book. Should you read about it in this blog, consider that the book has been recommended to you. For if you will read my prattlings, this book promises to be a step up for you. Just be sure to be sitting and not standing on that step.

2 comments:

Ninamaureen said...

Love the photo,Cindy, and can wholly identify with the "trapped in redundancy" message it conveys... so much of my life is just going thru the motions of repetitive behaviors. Lately, however, I've had someunmistakable "eye-openers" calling me to WAKE UP-! And good thing I have my shoes on, 'cause your mentioning Running With Scissors just about blew off my socks.... Here's what happened:
Yesterday, I WAS running with scissors!!! Big ol'Cutco shears to be exact. I was holding them by the handle (the way we're taught NOT to carry them) and I was hurrying out back to cut some peony leaves to bring inside. It had rained (SURPRISE!)and I slipped on a slimy patio paving stone and fell. I landed in such a fashion that the point of the scissors hit my glasses and popped the lens out,smashing into my eye and cracking the glasses frame in the process! Left arm's killing me today where I landed on it; but, all I can think, is thanks be to God for my his provision and my stupid, wonderful glasses!! I would've lost my eye, no doubt (and dang if it ain't the good one, too!).
So, if you're gonna run with scissors, hold 'em by the blades like your Kindergarten teacher taught you to do!
Nothing like a near-death'er to cause one to pause and thank God for the way he watches over us- and your blog today is serving to remind me to be more intentional and really "be there;" no matter what I'm doing, especially as I move through the mindless routines of my day!! You're like Mother Teresa today- she once said she was: "God's little pencil in His hand..." Thank you, friend!

cindy said...

-Amazing co-ink-ee-dink, Neener! I am sorry about your glasses and hope you have another pair. But have you seen Running With Scissors...it is a curiously good movie, in my opinion. Probably not for everyone but with your sense of humor you may agree.
And yes the next time you run with scissors - HOLD THE SHARP END IN YOUR HAND :) luv ya, thanks for visiting again!